A selection of writing.
Disability (Personal and Policy)
- Invisible, overlooked, forgotten: disability experiences of COVID-19
- Assembly for the Future – Dispatches from the Future
- What will it take for the NDIS to put disabled people first?
Disability RC reveals important medical history
- History repeating in lacklustre NDIS regime
- Calling for climate justice for disabled people
- Disability royal commission begins today, a long overdue reckoning into the violence against us
- Picture is still bleak for people with disability – Disabled people take concerns to the United Nations
- What’s next for the NDIS? A look at the key challenges for the new Federal Government.
- Australia tries to block disabled people from coming here – it’s part of our ugly history.
- Time for justice – disabled people have waited long enough – what will our Royal Commission mean, and why is it important?
- Time to stop punishing the unemployed – a look at the Senate inquiry into the punitive Job Active service.
- Being sick in Australia is harder than ever – how the system of income support is hard work for sick and/or disabled people.
- Local councils helping lift the unemployed – Anti-Poverty South Australia’s campaign to lift Newstart via local government.
- The NDIS is not everything – defunding disability advocacy will hurt disabled people
- #CripCroakey crowdfunded series on disability policy for Croakey: Why the National Disability Strategy is important, the ‘problem’ with disability housing, Mediscare worked because being sick is scary and everything you wanted to know about the NDIS.
- It’s time to fix the power dynamics that allowed the abuse of people with disability (with Leanne Dowse and Carolyn Frohmader.)
- Disabled women missing out on a share of the economic pie.
- Debunking myths that keep women with disabilities out of work.
- Why the Steptember fundraising campaign is out of date.
- Are we putting all our disabled eggs in the NDIS basket?
- Should the social model of disability apply online?
- Why the current approach on disability support pension won’t work.
- Why is work the only thing that’s valued?
- Impact of the 2014 budget on people with disability.
- A year since the NDIS started – what’s the verdict?
- Who pays for social services? (with Simon Copland)
- Who deserves the disability support pension?
- Who gets heard when talking about disabled people in institutions?
- Disabled people falling between the cracks in the justices system.
- Big long essay on what’s wrong with the NDIS as a model for disability support.
- I got a bit cranky about delays to NDIS funding.
- Reflecting on the passing of the NDIS (or DisabilityCare as it was briefly known.)
- The devil’s in the detail for the NDIS.
- The NDIS won’t work with out decent working conditions for disability workers.
- My first piece on the NDIS as a voucher system.
- The privatisation of human services – Serco and Centrelink.
- Selling off Home Care is a very bad idea.
- Why the community sector has more political capital than it thinks it has.
- About the proposed charity commission and whether it would cut red tape.
- A look at changes to the anti-discrimination legislation.
- Whose health matters? – a look at the budget spending on health in 2018.
- Pride and Passion: The Growth of Women’s Footy in Greater Western Sydney
- Struggle Street blames individuals for being poor
- The only way to change mandatory detention of refugees is the change the party that started it.
- The election flyer you won’t receive and it’s all First Dog’s fault.
- Do politicians need income management?